Thursday, April 19, 2007

Janie's got a gun....

I'll probably get a lot of flack for this. My words are not directed to any one person in particular.

The shootings at Va Tech were a horrible thing. But as far as I could tell, a politician was not the one who bought the gun, or gave it to the killer. I am tired of all the blame being put on those who were NOT responsible. Should we execute the guy who sold the kid that gun? Should we blame the parents? All of you are such wonderful child raisers, your kid would never do anything like that, would they? Is the administration of the college responsible? Shouldn't they have had the wisdom to foresee this? After all, they are the ones who you gave responsibility to (and a whole lot of money) and entrusted them with your children. OF COURSE NOT.

Do the research. A hell of a lot more people are killed every year by drunk drivers. Good thing none of you ever got behind the wheel with a little (a lot) too much alcohol, or anything else, in your bloodstream. I can't make that claim. Maybe we should ban cars. Or are drunk driving fatalities the fault of the politicians too...they could have outlawed liquor.

The powers that be say that drugs are illegal. See any shortage of them? I don't. What makes you think it would work with gun control?

So when your daughter is getting raped, or your son is being carjacked because some fuckhead wants his car, and you have no way of defending yourself or protecting your child because the bad guy has a weapon and you don't, DON'T CALL ME. And DON'T CALL ME when your home gets invaded, and you can do nothing but watch yourself and your loved ones get the shit beaten out of them because the bad guy has a weapon and you don't. Maybe you can talk the criminals out of doing what they are doing. Use poetry to cajole them. Light candles and put on some Joan Baez...that should calm them down.

Guns don't kill people. People kill people. And sweethearts, that makes you and me the problem. We are people.

Nuff said. I need to go get a mop, and clean up all the blood from the bleeding hearts. And listen to some Aerosmith.

Make your own peace, babies, cos no one else is gonna do it for you.

11 comments:

TerribleT said...

I couldn't have said it better myself. One thing I've read a couple of times that I think makes the point, when guns were free and easy to get, we had almost no gun violence. As they've become more controlled, we've had MORE, not less gun violence.

Anonymous said...

well, hmmm, aren't we on very different sides here.

Guns and people who use them to kill are a bad symptom of undercurrants in this society that we as a culture refuse to address.

If you have a gun to protect yourself, then you have a gun to kill with. Making war - of any kind - for peace, is like fucking for virginity. I believed it then and I believe it now. Violence begets violence. We have a president leading the way in just how violent we can be.

So now all of you can take aim at me.

bat_outta_hell said...

Tammy, you are right. I do have a gun to kill with, in the kill or be killed sense. If it's a choice between their life or mine, or the life of someone I love, damn right, they are going down. Or I will die trying.

Those guns have also been used to put animals out of their misery when hit by a car. Is that a bad thing? Is that violence begetting violence?

Our culture is what it is. I am not one to look at anything with rose colored glasses on. I don't think that having protection against those who would harm me is making war. I call it common sense. And I don't take aim at anyone unless they give me cause. Your remarks are not cause.

Anonymous said...

ah, but you cannot judge everyone with a gun by your own standards. many deaths happen with gun in hand (not facing another gun) that would not have happened without gun in hand. I suspect more of those than of the ones where someone is protecting themselves or their loved ones. This has nothing to do with rose colored glasses. Even if they owned guns, the students on campus most likely would not have had them in class. And I personally would not want my kids in class with other people with guns and young hormones. And I'm glad we can agree to disagree.

The Dream said...

Tammy's comments are well put ...

For me, it all boils down to living in LOVE rather than FEAR (and Anger is the child of FEAR). No matter what is going on in my own life, at any given moment, I have always been and will always be anti-gun. Even during some traumatic times in the past, reaching for a gun was even a thought. I'll pray/meditate and do my part for peace ... any day of the week. I believe that there is POWER in that. Maybe my efforts are minimal and nothing will change in my lifetime, but maybe it will. Idealistist? Absolutely. Again, I like where I live.

I will not argue on every point made, for that would be pointless.
Agreeing to disagree.

Peace&Love, Ei.

bat_outta_hell said...

I am certainly NOT advocating guns in the classroom. Or cell phones, for that matter. But I do choose to have a gun in my house, for the purpose of self defense. NOT to commit a criminal act. Just as there are those who can drink without being an alcoholic, or use drugs without being an addict, there are those who can own guns without committing a crime. And I do not consider self defense a crime.

I too am glad we can agree to disagree.

The Dream said...

i meant - "reaching for a gun was NEVER even a thought" -

off to grab more coffee.

bat_outta_hell said...

Ei,

I am not living in fear. Just reality. The reality of having been raped. The reality of having a gun pulled on me. Things I hope you and yours never have to experience.

Is your life right now what you have been praying for? Mine is. Except I don't pray. I see it more as manifesting change to get what I want. Selfish as that may be.

The Dream said...

Life IS ... and it's fluid. And I believe - wholeheartedly - that I can't control everything that happens. No, I didn't pray for the difficulties in my family ... compassion please.

My life also consists of far different responsibilities/circumstances than yours. For me to stand in judgement of your life - or for you to judge mine ... is just wrong.

Rape is part of my story, Padi. As I wrote, I have had some tragedies along the way. But none of them ever made me consider owning a gun.

But hey, that's me.

bat_outta_hell said...

I wasn't judging your life. I don't even like to judge mine, full of the faults and fuck ups that it is. What I was alluding to is the fact that people can pray all they want, and most times, shit is gonna happen anyway. From what I can tell, god ain't listening very much, judging from the condition of the planet and the people who walk it. But we all are entitled to our beliefs.

You know you have my compassion. But you know I also have my opinions, and keeping them to myself is not one of my strong points.

Truth and trust. Neither one is easy. To give, or to accept.

The Dream said...

I'm all about making friends - and keeping them. And the level of trust between us is one I value. Know that.

Prayer for me takes on many forms ... and yeah, the planet is pretty screwed up ... but to go along with prayer, I must apply ACTION, elst there is no point. Granted, I'm not organizing peace rallies, marching on Capitol Hill, or doing anything on a grand scale ... but I do what I can.

Dylan:

Life is sad
Life is a bust
All you can do
Is do what you must
You do what you must do
And you do it well
Ah, honey baby
can't you tell?

Note: I'm far more optimistic than Dylan's words.

Peace, my friend.
Off to paint with the kiddos.